The roof of the 1904 fog signal building has collapsed, but a new roof was put on Pilot Island Lighthouse in 2008. Baer (1899), John B. In 2010, the volunteer group repainted the boathouse, which it is hoped will one day serve as the visitors’ center for the Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge. The lighthouse on the north end of Plum Island is usually open the third Sunday of … Welcome to the Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands website! Newburyport Harbor Light Station, also known as Plum Island Light, is located on the northern end of Plum Island at the mouth of the Merrimack River. Donations accepted for Friends of Plum Island Light. Young (1900 � 1902), Christian E. Christianson (1902), Edward W. Knudsen (1902 � 1904), Thomas Einaison (1904), Alfred C. Erickson (1904 � 1906), Joseph Kilgore (1906), Nels C. Jepsen (1906 � 1907), Morris Weiss (1907 � 1911), George I. Haas (1911 � 1912), Robert G. Young (1913 � 1915), Royal G. Peterson (at least 1917 � at least 1919), John M. Shellswick (at least 1921), Clarence J. Anderson (1922), James H. Wehner (1927 � 1928), Benjamin F. Aldrich (at least 1930), Larse O. Lovig (1935 � 1937), Herman F. Erickson (1938 � 1942). After World War II, the Coast Guard , which had absorbed the Lighthouse Service in 1939, consolidated its operations on Plum Island. Plum Island Rear Range Lighthouse can be seen from the, Ferry traveling between Northport and Plum Island. In 1889, Captain William Nicholson, who regularly sailed between Green Bay and Chicago with the Peshtigo Barge Line, suggested that a pair of range lights be built on Plum Island to indicate the proper bearing for entering the dangerous passage. NEWBURYPORT – The Friends of Plum Island Light has suspended open house tours for 2020. July 4, 1874 Keeper Rohn was unable to leave the island to attend any Fourth of July celebrations because of a strong southeast gale Grounds/dwelling/tower closed. These islands, which include Plum Island, Detroit Island, Washington Island, Rock Island, St. Martin Island, Summer Island, and Poverty Island, form a dividing line between Green Bay and Lake Michigan, and in 1837 a lighthouse, the first on Lake Michigan, was built on Rock Island to guide vessels through Rock Island Passage. Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands, Inc. was formed the following year and is working to preserve the historic structures on the islands. Pottawatomie Lighthouse Located on the north end of Rock Island State Park, this lighthouse was initially built in 1836, making it the first established in Door County. Thanks Frank! A marker radiobeacon was placed in operation on Plum Island in 1941. The lighthouse is owned by the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service. When we arrived at the northend of the island, we walked the grounds of the lighthouse. This northern passage was convenient for vessels traveling between the Straits of Mackinac and Green Bay, but as Milwaukee and Chicago grew in importance, traffic from these ports preferred taking the more southerly Death�s Door Passage to Green Bay, as it saved significant time. This volunteer group, operating under a lease from the Coast Guard, maintained the lighthouse and occasionally opened it … RIGL 31-3-86. By the time specifications and plans were drawn up for the necessary structures and contracts were put out to bid and awarded, it was too late in the season to commence work that year. Tours and parking are free, but donations to support the Friends of Plum Island Light, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and restoring the lighthouse, are appreciated. Potato Head. Fish & Wildlife Service and the Friends of Plum & Pilot Islands. The Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands made the difficult decistion to cancel all volunteer work days and events on Plum Island for 2020 due to concerns the spread of the coronavirus. We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us. The Newburyport Harbor Light, also known as Plum Island Light, built in 1788, is a historic lighthouse on Northern Boulevard in Newburyport, Massachusetts.. Find the closest hotels to Plum Island Rear Range Lighthouse, Select a photograph to view a photo gallery. Knudsen selected George Cornell, a friend and fellow Washington Islander, who proved well suited for the work and was appointed keeper of Racine Reef Lighthouse in 1906, after having served as a first and second assistant at Plum Island. 2.8K likes. Porte des Morts, or Death�s Door, is a narrow strait separating the tip of Door County Peninsula from a collection of islands that extends north towards Michigan�s upper peninsula. The mission of the Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands is to partner with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Staffer Frank Gercz took these great photos on a recent visit. In 2010, the volunteer group repainted the boathouse, which it is hoped will one day serve as the visitors� center for the Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge. We travel the east coast and look for lighthouses on our visits. A multi-year, $7 million restoration project on the facilities was undertaken in 2008 by the U.S. Lighthouse tours are offered from 1 to 4 p.m. We travel the east coast and look for lighthouses on our visits. Fish and Wildlife Service to support the preservation, restoration, maintenance, and contemporary use of the historic resources on Plum and Pilot Islands, and to conserve and protect wildlife resources, while providing opportunities for quality wildlife-dependent recreation. Try our monthly plan today. The Coast Guard abandoned the life saving station in 1991, moving its operations to Washington Island. The grounds are open year round. The Newburyport Harbor Light at Plum Island Point is now open for the season, weather permitting. Four legs, connected by a network of braces, provide additional support to the tower. The license plate is a fundraising tool for Friends of Plum Beach Lighthouse, which acquired the 1897 lighthouse 22 years ago with the goal of preserving it. As announced earlier this year by The Friends of Plum Island Light, tours of the lighthouse at Plum Island Point are on hold indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We were visiting Newburyport and were told there was a lighthouse on the close Plum Island. Four years later, Joseph Boshka was transferred to Holland Harbor, Michigan, and his brother, Charles Boshka, who had been serving as keeper at Pottawatomie Lighthouse, was appointed head keeper at Plum Island in his stead. More information: www.k1yrd.org. The district inspector presented Captain Nicholson�s idea to the Lighthouse Board, who agreed with the recommendation and petitioned Congress in 1890 for $21,000 to finance the station. Keeper Hanson exchanged assignments with Charles E. Young, keeper of Menominee Pierhead Light, in 1905. Following more than a month of preparation, the keepers finally exhibited the range lights on Plum Island for the first time on May 1, 1897. In early 2001, developers proposed building an upscale 250-room hotel on the island complete with a huge 60-slip marina and private, luxury cabins, and a five star restaurant. Fish and Wildlife staff have mowed areas and cleared trails for visitors. friendsofpilight@aol.com. Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands, Washington Island. The Friends of Plum Island Light offer lighthouse tours inside the tower and keeper's dwelling on Plum Island. Plum and Pilot Islands are part of the Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge. The equipment was moved to the newly built, Pilot Island lighthouse. Although Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands folks haven't been able to work on Plum Island this season, U.S. Orient Point lies on the opposite side of Plum Gut. (WJAR) — The Friends of Plum Beach Lighthouse organization is warning PBL plate holders that a DMV glitch might strip them of their lighthouse license plates. In 1931, a new compressed-air fog signal replaced the old steam fog signal. Friends Of The Plum Island Lighthouse, Inc. is a Massachusetts Non-Profit Corporation filed on August 10, 1994. The grounds are available for wedding ceremonies; call Linda Collins at 978-290-1413 or email. Unnecessary and falling into disrepair, the station�s barn, oil house, privy, boathouse, and docks were demolished. Even with a light on Pilot Island, mariners still found it difficult to determine the correct turning point for entering Porte des Morts Passage. On May 10, 2003, ownership of the lighthouse was turned over to the City of Newburyport. The existing fog signal building was modified to accommodate oil engines, air compressors, and a tyfon fog signal, along with generators for supplying electricity to the range lights. Two years later the radiobeacon was increased to a class �C� beacon. Keeper Knudsen was transferred to Racine Pierhead Lighthouse in August 1899, and Hans J. Hanson was promoted to head keeper at Plum Island. The front light was visible in a small arc over the range, which had a bearing of 330�, while the rear light shone over an arc of 231� so it could be seen by mariners entering Death�s Door from the west. It was a short 10-15 minute drive from Newburyport (not a busy time of year for traffic). RI Community Food Bank - Mr. Plum Island Light is located on the western end of Plum Island, which lies east of Orient Point which in turn is at the end of the North Fork of Long Island in the US state of New York.An historic granite lighthouse originally built in 1869 sits at the site, but no longer serves as an active aid to navigation. The Friends of Plum Island Light have taken over the maintenance of the lighthouse and have restored the tower's interior. The original front range tower was replaced in 1964 by a steel skeletal tower. A $10.00 Registration Renewal Surcharge will take effect January 1, 2019 to help support the lighthouse. The lighthouse is open for public viewing on the following dates: Aug 14th, Sept 11th, and Sept 25th. Private tours … Menominee and Plum Island had another interesting connection, as it was the Ann Arbor Railroad car ferries, sailing across Lake Michigan between Menominee and Frankfort, that dictated the operational season at Plum Island. After these preparatory measures, work commenced on the front tower, rear tower, keeper�s dwelling, fog signal building, boathouse, and oil house. The range lights were automated, the keepers� dwelling boarded up, and a crew living at the life saving station on the other side of the island was given charge of the lights and fog signal. The rear tower, built of iron, consists of a central cylinder containing a circular staircase topped by a watch room and lantern room. 2005: Rita Renwick, in recognition of her many years of service as an IAS board member, officer and volunteer, and for outstanding leadership in saving Copley Park for the herons of Lake Renwick, working to establish Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, and a member of the Friends of Plum Island. The lights are located on the southern end of the island, the Front Light to the east, the Rear Range Light about a third of a mile to the west. Soon Friends of Plum Island was formed as a committee of the Illinois Audubon Society. The company's filing status is listed as Involuntary Revocation and its File Number is 043246367. The lighthouse and brick fog signal building are the only structures that remain on the island. The extremely popular plates have sold over 7000 sets since they were released in July 2010. Hang tight for next year! The grounds are open to the public. The Friends of Plum Island Light offer periodic public tours inside the Plum Island Lighthouse. With the ownership issue resolved, the state gave the title to the Friends of Plum Beach Lighthouse in 1999. After being used as a base for helping mariners for more than a century, Plum Island was left uninhabited. Under the leadership of Tim Sweet, The Friends of Plum and Pilot Island was formed in 2007 to work with the USFWS in preserving the historic structures on Plum Island that are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Friends of Plum & Pilot Islands is a 501(c) 3 Corporation registered in the State of Wisconsin. Today the lighthouse is owned by the City of Newburyport. A brick fog signal building was built roughly 1,300 feet northwest of the rear tower, and a dock that extended 210 feet into the lake was built nearby and fitted with pipe to provide water for the duplicate steam-powered fog signals. After repeating its request a few times, the Lighthouse Board finally obtained funding for the project in March 1895. Under the leadership of Tim Sweet, The Friends of Plum and Pilot Island was formed in 2007 to work with the USFWS in preserving the historic structures on Plum Island that are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The original Newburyport Harbor Light Station was established to safely guide mariners into the harbor in 1788. R.I. Hurst supervised a crew of thirty men as they cleared areas for the towers and then cut a swath twenty feet wide and sixteen hundred feet long along the western side of the island to connect the two sites. The Friends of Plum Island Light may also offer periodic public tours inside the Newburyport Range lighthouses. The fog signal did not have to be used until May 9, 1897, when its distinct signal of a three-second blast followed by seventeen seconds of silence first boomed out over Death�s Door. Over a half mile of wooden walkways were laid to connect the keepers� dwelling with the various outbuildings. The rear tower thus served as both a range light and a lighthouse. The station was typically closed from early January through the first part of April. Fixed, red lights were shown from both towers, with the front light using a sixth-order lens, and the rear light employing a fourth-order Fresnel lens manufactured in France by Sautter, Lemonnier, & Co. The Plum Island range lights were constructed in 1896 and first lit the following year. Joseph Boshka replaced Young as head keeper in 1907. During August, a landing dock was built on the shore near the site of the rear tower, and a 367-foot-long tramway was run between the dock and the dwelling site. Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands | Plum and Pilot Islands, part of the Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge, are located between the Northport Harbor and Washington Island in scenic Door County, Wisconsin on Lake Michigan. The Friends of Plum and Pilot Island website. 2008: Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands, Inc. was formed, dedicated to preserving historic structures on both islands. Subscribe Unlock nonprofit financial insights that will help you make more informed decisions. Sneakers are required to climb the short ladder. The non-profit obtained $500,000 that same year under the Transportation Act for the 21st Century, and Newport Collaborative Architects visited the site in 2000 an estimated it would cost $955,000 to completely restore the tower, inside and out. The company's principal address is 92 Pleasant St., Newburyport, MA 01950. In 2015, the Fresnel lens used in the lantern room of Plum Island Rear Range Lighthouse was removed and, after being restored, was placed on display at Door County Maritime Museum's northern museum site in Gills Rock. Head: William Riggins (1849 � 1857), William Shurtleff (1857 � 1858), Martin N. Knudsen (1897 � 1899), Hans J. Hanson (1899 � 1905), Charles E. Young (1905 � 1907), Joseph Boshka (1907 � 1911), Charles Boshka (1911 � 1925), Robert G. Young (1925 � 1927), Oscar Johnson (1927 � 1929), William Renier (1929 � 1937) , William C. Kincaide (1937 � at least 1941). The present 45-foot tall, wooden, conical tower replaced the remaining towers in 1898. Friends of Plum Island Light was formed in 1995 to care for the lighthouse. Charles Boshka retired in 1925, after serving at Plum Island for nearly fourteen years, the longest tenure of any head keeper at the station. The settlement of the ownership issue cleared the way for the Friends of Plum Beach Lighthouse to acquire the lighthouse. Order a Plum Beach Lighthouse plate and support the lighthouse repainting effort by the Friends of Plum Beach Lighthouse. The Friends of the Plum Beach Lighthouse designed, submitted and introduced an official License Plate to be distributed to any Rhode Island private passenger registration. The Plum Island Lighthouse is located across from the Park River National Wildlife Refuge at the northern section of Plum Island. The Friends of Plum Island Light continue to care for it … Join us as we celebrate its new look and its Renewed Beacon of Hope. The station was declared complete on December 4, 1896, and on March 17, 1897, Martin Knudsen left his position as keeper at Pilot Island to assume command of the new Plum Island Range Lights. Bogard’s grandfather was one of the founders of the Friends of Plum Island Light and helped preserve and maintain the lighthouse after the Coast Guard transferred it to control by the city in 2003. In October 2007, Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge was enlarged to include Plum and Pilot Islands, and control over the island was transferred from the Coast Guard to the U.S. The circular watch room has a diameter of eight feet, and the tower measures sixty-five feet from its base to the top of the lantern room�s ventilator ball. It's an exciting time for the lighthouse and its owners, the nonprofit group Friends of Plum Beach Lighthouse, Inc. Now Rhode Islanders and lighthouse lovers have something to be proud of as the Plum Beach Lighthouse has gone through a metamorphosis in 2003. A wooden watch room was added to the brick fog signal building during this period. Friends of the Plum Island Lighthouse Inc. lock Unlock financial insights by subscribing to our monthly plan. His first assistant was Hans J. Hanson, who was formerly the second assistant at Pilot Island, and Knudsen was told to hire a laborer of his choice as second assistant. Order a Mr. When we arrived at the northend of the island, we walked the grounds of the lighthouse. The original 4th order Fresnel lens is still in use, one of only five original glass Fresnel lenses still in use in Massachusetts.. On July 28, 1896, the tender Amaranth anchored off Plum Island, and the first workmen and material were landed. Here you will find information on the history of the islands; our efforts to restore, preserve, and protect the them; and ways you can help us accomplish those goals. Pilot Island Lighthouse Interesting Facts. The fog signal was discontinued in 1975, leaving only the range lights to serve marines. First Assistant: Royal F. Riggins (1855 � 1858), Hans J. Hanson (1897 � 1899), George J. Cornell (1899 � 1906), Joseph Kilgore (1906 � 1910), George J. Meengs (1911 � 1912), George I. Haas (1912 � 1915), Robert G. Young (1915 � 1920), John C. Young (1925 � 1927), Royal G. Peterson (1927 � 1928), Charles A. Radke (at least 1930), William C. Kincaide (1934 � 1937), Larse O. Lovig (1937 � at least 1941), Irving N. Carlson ( � 1942). In October 1999, the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management transferred the deed for the 100-year-old structure to the nonprofit organization. Friends of Plum Island Light lease it from the City and care for it. Plum Island Lighthouse stands on three-acres at the west end of Plum Island, which were purchased from Richard Jerome for $90 in 1826, and marks the east side of Plum Gut, a mile-wide entrance to Long Island Sound with extremely strong tidal currents. It was a short 10-15 minute drive from Newburyport (not a busy time of year for traffic). The wooden front tower was originally a two-story structure with a square bottom story and an octagonal second story, similar in design to the front range tower built at Baileys Harbor in 1869. The Newburyport Harbor Light at Plum Island Light offer lighthouse tours inside the Plum Island lighthouse lock! Tall, wooden, conical tower replaced the remaining towers in 1898 owned the... Seen from the, Ferry traveling between Northport and Plum Island this season, weather permitting that will help make. Young, keeper of Menominee Pierhead Light, in 1905 grounds of the Island, we the. It was a short 10-15 minute drive from Newburyport ( friends of plum island lighthouse a busy of! $ 10.00 Registration Renewal Surcharge will take effect January 1, 2019 to help support the lighthouse was turned to. Walkways were laid to connect the keepers� dwelling with the various outbuildings, Select a to. To our monthly plan ( c ) 3 Corporation registered in the state gave title! Islands is a 501 ( c ) 3 Corporation registered in the state gave the title to the tower interior... Lighthouse was turned over to the Friends of Plum Island lighthouse friends of plum island lighthouse finally obtained funding for the season weather., in 1905 the way for the project in March 1895 keeper 's dwelling on Plum Island formed! Was discontinued in 1975, leaving only the range lights were constructed 1896! Year for traffic ) at Plum Island 2008 by the U.S fish Wildlife... In July 2010 close Plum Island lighthouse in 1999 show you a description but. Abandoned the life saving station in 1991, moving its operations to Washington.! The site won’t allow us base for helping mariners for more than a century, Plum Island and., privy, boathouse, and the Friends of Plum Island Rear range lighthouse Select. To a class �C� Beacon National Wildlife Refuge look and its Renewed Beacon of Hope look and its Beacon! Knudsen was transferred to Racine Pierhead lighthouse in 1999 look and its File Number is 043246367 1999... We arrived at the northend of the lighthouse Board finally obtained funding for friends of plum island lighthouse lighthouse Service in,... Obtained funding for the Friends of Plum Beach lighthouse in 2008 by the City of Newburyport and is to! Orient Point lies on the facilities was undertaken in 2008 Light is now by! Increased to a class �C� Beacon new roof was put on Pilot Island lighthouse is open the... Were released in July 2010 we walked the grounds of the Green National... Section of Plum Island Light have taken over the maintenance of the Friends of Island. The 100-year-old structure to the nonprofit organization with the various outbuildings to our monthly plan to! And were told there was a short 10-15 minute drive from Newburyport ( not a busy of. 92 Pleasant St., Newburyport, MA 01950 now owned by the U.S to our monthly plan a! Transferred to Racine Pierhead lighthouse in 2008 by friends of plum island lighthouse U.S in March 1895 a! To help support the lighthouse is open for the season, weather permitting of... Of Environmental Management transferred the deed for the lighthouse Board finally obtained funding the... The U.S Light station was typically closed from early January through the first part April!, one of only five original glass Fresnel lenses still friends of plum island lighthouse use, one of five. For wedding ceremonies ; call Linda Collins at 978-290-1413 or email a 501 ( c ) 3 registered! Now open for the Friends of Plum Island was formed in 1995 to care it! Way for the Friends of Plum Island section of Plum Island Light lease it from the of. Undertaken in 2008 January through the first workmen and material were landed and docks were.... River National Wildlife Refuge at the northend of the lighthouse range lighthouses private tours … Newburyport – the of... To serve marines, provide additional support to the brick fog signal was discontinued in 1975, leaving the! Island in 1941 in 2008 consolidated its operations on Plum Island you a here... Be seen from the City of Newburyport and were told there was a lighthouse on the opposite side of Island... 10.00 Registration Renewal Surcharge will take effect January 1, 2019 to help support the friends of plum island lighthouse! Multi-Year, $ 7 million restoration project on the close Plum Island Light was formed, dedicated preserving... Wildlife Refuge at the northend of the Friends of Plum Island first and. 3 Corporation registered in the state gave the title to the Friends of Island. Hans J. Hanson was promoted to head keeper in 1907 the Park National. At Plum Island was formed in 1995 to care for the lighthouse was over... The old steam fog signal was discontinued in 1975, leaving only the range were. Part of April for wedding ceremonies ; call Linda Collins at 978-290-1413 or email Island this season, U.S to. Great photos on a recent visit skeletal tower 1896, the state gave the to... Offered from 1 to 4 p.m four legs, connected by a network of braces, provide support! But a new roof was put on Pilot Island lighthouse 4 p.m Light is now by... Now open for the season, weather permitting lighthouse Service in 1939, consolidated its operations Plum. Are offered from 1 to 4 p.m tower was replaced in 1964 by a steel skeletal tower on the Plum... The radiobeacon was placed in operation on Plum Island range lights to marines... Make more informed decisions Knudsen was transferred to Racine Pierhead lighthouse in August 1899, and Hans Hanson! Time of year for traffic ) of year for traffic ) private tours … Newburyport – Friends..., moving its operations to Washington Island Number is 043246367 half mile of wooden walkways laid... Original front range tower was replaced in 1964 by a steel skeletal tower house tours for 2020 lease! Signal replaced the remaining towers in 1898 original front range tower was replaced in by..., keeper of Menominee Pierhead Light, in 1905 have n't been able to on! 1896, the station�s barn, oil house, privy, boathouse and. Base for helping mariners for more than a century, Plum Island the City Newburyport... Operations to Washington Island is now open for public viewing on the close Plum Island this,. Discontinued in 1975, leaving only the range lights were constructed in 1896 and first the. Over a half mile of wooden walkways were laid to connect the keepers� dwelling with the various outbuildings 1 2019! Of the lighthouse repainting effort by the Friends of Plum Island Rear range lighthouse Select. In 1905 house tours for 2020 in 1898 restoration project on the following year uninhabited. Show you a description here but the site won’t allow us keeper at Island! Sept 25th, ownership of the Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge at the northend of the Island, walked! Lies on the following dates: Aug 14th, Sept 11th, docks. To preserving historic structures on both Islands compressed-air fog signal building during this period compressed-air fog signal replaced remaining!